A Travellerspoint blog


overcast 16 °C

Oh Venice. How you make me smile!
I started off my journey to Naples to Venice Early in the morning. I first trained up to Rome then caught a connection that took me the remaining way to Venice. Overall, the total journey was about 7 hours. I wandered around the station looking for tourist information and finally found it in the back corner hiding behind a tree. The woman behind the desk sent me to the boats outside of the station to catch a ride to the hostel.
It is quite interesting trying to get on a rocking boat with a 16 kilo bag. But, I somehow made it below deck without falling overboard.
My directions from the hostel were as follows:
Get off boat. Turn right. Cross over three bridges. Turn left on the street next to the bridge. Then at the square go into the alley in the corner. Then you should see the hostel.

Well, at this point everyone should know how easily I get lost with even the best directions. Just try to imagine me with these. It was pretty hilarious. But, I eventually made it. Then had to walk up four flights of stairs with my massive backpack to check in, then be sent accros the street to my room. The hostel I stayed at was apparently half hostel half hotel. The hostel bit was literally a room withfour beds, a hallway, an d a bathroom. No common area, no kitchen, no lockers. Just beds. And a toilet. So, i was pleasantly surprised to find that it was just me and a young guy from Tuscon, Arizona. We wondered around Venice and grabbed some dinner. Venice is simply gorgeous at night


The next morning I met up with one of the guys I met in Rome. We walked the entire island from 11 am to 7 pm. Then we happily sat down for some dinner and headed to the hostel to hang out with my roomie. We drank beers, munched on goodies, and talked about the homeland (we were all surprisingly Americans and on top of that all from the west coast.)


The next morning I had an early flight back to Amsterdam. It was much to my consternation that I had to take a boat to the airport. That takes an hour and 45 minutes. My flight was at 7 in the morning. I needed to be there by 530 am. Which meant I got to be at the boat stop to catch the boat at 330. But no. There were no boats that left at 330. It was either 3am or 4am. So I headed out of the hostel at 240 and walked to the boat stop. My flight also landed into Brussels, so when I finally landed I had to take the train 2 hours to The Hague. It was a stellar day : /. But, at least there were no missed flights or delays!

Next Stop: Barcelona, Spain.

Posted by Michele530 08:25 Archived in Italy

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint